Provider Role in the Clearinghouse
The FMCSA Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse is a secure, online database that will give employers and other authorized users real-time information about commercial driver’s license (CDL) and commercial learner’s permit (CLP) holders’ drug and alcohol program violations. Substance Abuse Professionals (SAPs) need to register in the Clearinghouse to be ready for driver requests when they have a DOT drug and/or alcohol violation and have to go through the return-to-duty process.
SAP Clearinghouse Services
- Self-certify your qualifications. During registration, Substance Abuse Professionals (SAPs) must self-certify they have the credentials and basic knowledge required by §40.281.
- Invite Assistants. Send invitations to other employees who will report information in the Clearinghouse on your behalf, allowing them to register as part of your company.
- Be ready for driver requests. Before you can enter information about a driver’s return to duty activities in the Clearinghouse, the driver you are working with must identify you as his or her SAP, and send you a request to designate you as his or her SAP in the Clearinghouse. You will need to be registered in the Clearinghouse before the driver can send you this request.
SAPs are required to report the following information:
- Date the driver’s initial assessment is completed, by the close of the business day following the assessment.
- Date you determine the driver is eligible for return-to-duty testing by the close of the business day following the determination.
- You will NOT upload any documentation, including driver follow-up testing plans, to the Clearinghouse.